The Coalition For Disturbing Metaphors (halfshellvenus) wrote,
The Coalition For Disturbing Metaphors

Back, more or less kicking...

Sorry for the delay in posting. I think my original plan was to get back online sooner and let you all know I made it through the surgery okay, instead of letting scary silence build up. But that got lost in a blur of days of pain meds, not being able to sit up much, and then once I could... spending a horrific amount of time trying to finish my yearly self-evaluation stuff for work before yesterday's deadline. Pretty much all day yesterday, and I am SO glad that's over with. Now I have to finish our taxes over the next couple of days. :O

And no, I did not actually finish either of those before the surgery came up, despite all effort. I kept trying to do the work eval thing, and I just couldn't focus enough to summarize all of that coherently and in the new (New!Every!Single!Year!) format needed for the office. /o\

So, the surgery went well, but it was long. 4 1/2 hours in surgery, then 5 hours in the recovery room. Most of that last part was trying to get awake enough from the anaesthesia to go home. And to demonstrate that I didn't need the catheter any more, because nobody wants to go home with that!

I didn't even see the operating room. The anaesthetic hit while I was being wheeled through the hallway, so the next thing I know, I was in the recovery bay. Woke up in pain, and I thought the meds would have done a better job over time, but they just lessened the pain instead of blocking it. Still, could have been worse. Lots of unexpected groin pain along the tendons, which I realized afterwards meant that they probably had my knees spread apart for hours until the joints locked up. \o/ I couldn't move my right leg at all without lifting it with my hands. Funny—the pain reminded me of when I was pregnant and the kids's heads dropped to where they could cut the circulation to those leg nerves and numb everything until I couldn't move. Our son was the worst, since he could get both legs at the same time.

The pre-op and post-op recovery nurses were awesome, and I was home by about 6:30 p.m. for an exciting dinner of yogurt and a banana, and an early bedtime around 9:30. And thanks to having a pain medication that did not involve synthetic codeine, I got a fairly good night's sleep instead of the itchy restlessness after my first surgery.

So I'm home, on the mend, and mourning the six weeks until I can get back on the bicycle again. SIX WEEKS! I'll also be desperately trying to avoid gaining a ton of weight until then, so... \o?

Tags: cycling, me
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.