Once tagged by this entry, the assignment is to write a blog entry of some kind with six random facts about yourself. Then, pick six of your friends and tag them; no tag backs. This explanation should be included.
1. My username, halfshellvenus, is because my hair is similar to that of Botticelli's Venus (from the "Birth of Venus") in my default icon. I also like the calming associations with that larger picture, and with the goddess of love as well.
2. My metabolism is virtually nonexistent. This means that I burn (on optimistic average) about 1300-1400 calories daily WITH 6 days a week of intense exercise. Any more than that and I start to pack on weight (currently suffering from this right now. Grrrr.) And given this, it’s nearly impossible to lose weight once I’ve gained it. The time from no-calories to thermostat shutdown (further lowering the metabolism) is perhaps a day or two. :(
3. I have reactive hypoglycemia. That means I’m hungry virtually all the time (some people are nauseated instead), and almost anything I eat will set off the roller coaster to repeat itself in about 90 minutes. Think about how much fun THAT is combined with #2 above…
4. I was a painfully shy child who didn’t understand other kids all that well. Interestingly enough, I think this applies to most of the great people I meet at work AND on the Internet!
5. I read a lot of my kids’ fantasy or wacky-humor type books. Some of them I read and they don’t! Adult fantasy is really hit-or-miss for me, but less so with kids’ stuff. So while I haven’t read the Harry Potter stuff yet, I’m a big fan of the “Dragon Slayers’ Academy” series (Deirdre! Get these!), any fantasy by Eva Ibbotson, anything by Vivian Vande Velde, lots of Bruce Coville, “The Enchanted Forest Chronicles.” Good stuff!
6. I have a horrible weakness for cute, but I tend to detest “cutesy.” The difference lies in the eye of the beholder...
I tag some people whose mystery (or shyness) intrigues me: particlesofgale, bluesister, acostilow, sargraf, tyrical, and dragon9maiden.