Log in

No account? Create an account
18 September 2009 @ 02:16 pm
Stuff What Happened Yesterday...  
I had my every-3-years OBGYN visit (with the dreaded Pap smear) yesterday. That's always fairly awful, but there was a surprise bonus at the end: someone giving flu shots in the waiting room.

Two birds, one stone. I usually skip the flu shot (because I have great immunity), but I figured it'd be better not to endanger HSH. And the fact sheet gave me the info I'd been looking for on his behalf-- whether the flu shot is dangerous or important when you're immunosuppressed from something like Chemo. Turns out he needs it, so he'll be getting one on Tuesday.

The route from the doctor's office to the freeway goes past Fleet Feet, so I'd planned last weekend to stop off afterward and get new running shoes. \o/ I finally has new shoes!

What did NOT happen yesterday was the recording of Fringe, because it turns out that when HSH installed the converter box for the digital TV changeover, he bypassed the DVR entirely. Augh! One of us will be rewiring this weekend, and I'll try to catch the show via Hula or something. Better to know now, before the Prime Time season really heats up...

I went running with the new shoes this morning. The temps were hotter than I like, but there's no helping that in Sacramento. The shoes DO feel more cushy, though I didn't get a massively improved feeling from them thanks to slowly overheating during the run. The other shoes had almost NO cushion, though, and were at least 5 years old thanks to the plantar fasciitis fiasco that struck within 4 months of buying them. So I definitely needed the new ones. Hope to "feel it" more when the weather's cooler, if THAT ever happens.

This weekend: Saturday soccer (Christopher), Saturday ride (me), and Sunday brunch with my MIL who is feeling better now and getting around with her walker. That last news is both surprising and wonderful, because she was doing poorly after the last bout of whatever hit her (she doesn't go to the hospital anymore, as she's moved into the hospice stage). It's nice to have her with us a little longer, and I'll keep my fingers crossed as tightly as I can for more.

Kimberleylampshade_days on September 19th, 2009 12:25 am (UTC)
Every 3 years? They have me go every one and a half for some reason. The physical exam/pap is always three quarters uncomfortable, one quarter amusing, because my doctor is a proper British gentleman sort, and he always tries to lighten the mood with some quaint little random anecdote.

So glad to hear your MIL is feeling better.
The Coalition For Disturbing Metaphorshalfshellvenus on September 19th, 2009 12:52 am (UTC)
It used to be every year, and now I'm on a 3-year-schedule, though I could go in for the physical part of the exam every 1.5 years if I wanted to. (Hah!)

My doctor is very nice, and they've all been nice, but the pap itself hurts, the manual exam hurts, and the rectal/bimanual always brings the threat of vomiting. UGH.

Thanks for the nice thoughts about my MIL. At this point, we never know whether she'll pull through an illness or not. She was so very tired after this last one, for so long, that we didn't think it was going to happen. I'm glad she did. :)